Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Low carb pumpkin pancakes

During my quest to keep enjoying pancakes while on a low carb diet, I decided to invent my own recipe. These turned out really good. They were soft and fluffy and full of flavor. If I hadn't cooked these myself, I wouldn't have believed that they were low carb. I also cheated a bit and made a quick syrup to go on top...simply because I feel that pancakes without syrup are just never good enough. In my defense, I used coconut sugar, and only 2 teaspoons at that. But feel free to leave that out.


the recipe below is for one serving.


Ingredients for the pancakes


  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree (or use an additional tablespoon of yogurt)
  • 2 tablespoons almond flour/almond meal
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/3 teaspoon pumpkin spice (or cinnamon)
  • 1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (I used 2 teaspoons of Truvia)
  • pinch of salt

For the syrup

  • 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or a couple drops of maple flavoring)

first separate the egg and whip up the egg white until it forms very stiff peaks, similar to when you make a meringue. This will make the batter very airy and it's what makes these pancakes fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolk with all the other ingredients, and then finally mix in the beaten egg white. Drop 2 tablespoons of batter at a time, on a hot well greased skillet. flip them over as soon as the bottom turns golden brown.
These pancakes are a bit fragile because of all the air in them, so be careful when you flip them. After ruining the first pancake (don't we always?), I found that the best way was to loosen the edges with the spatula, before flipping them.

To make the syrup, put the coconut sugar and water in a small microwaveable container, and heat for about 30 seconds, or until it starts to bubble. then stir until the sugar dissolves, and finally add the vanilla or maple extract (or both if you have them).

If you try them, please let me know how they turn out :)

No comments: